Tottenham turn down chance to re-sign Caulker

Tottenham have decided that Steven Caulker is not the answer in central defence which may be due to his reportedly high wage demands.

Steven Caulker joins QPR


Tottenham had first refusal on him as part of the transfer deal which took him to Cardiff City but decided not to exercise it. The Welsh club still owe Tottenham money for the initial purchase which would have been against Financial Fair Play rules going into a new season so they won't have all the £8.5 million fee to spend on new players.

Recent Articles:
Soldado may struggle to fit Pochettino system
McCarthy, Friedel, Eto'o, Valbuena, Falqué
Should Spurs move for Richards
Give Pochettino a chance for gawds sake
Cristian Ceballos catches they eye

The former Spurs centre-half has signed a four-year contract with QPR, a move I certainly felt was in the best interests of his long term career, given that he could learn from working with Rio Ferdinand every day.

“I am very excited to be here. It was important for me to be back playing in the Premier League, and Harry Redknapp has given me the opportunity to be at this fantastic club. 
“Harry was a big factor for me, having worked with him at Tottenham. He was very keen for me to join and that was a big plus, knowing the manager wants you. 
“Being able to play with Rio was also a big draw. He has been a role model of mine for many years, along with Ledley King. To have the opportunity to play alongside him was something I felt I couldn’t miss out on. 
“Our first aim this season has to be to get to 40 points, to make sure we stay up. That’s our first goal.”

Harry Redknapp was delighted to have signed the 22-year-old England international.

“Steven’s a top player, so we’re delighted to have him at QPR. I know the ability he has and I think it’s an important signing for the club – for the here and now, and for the future. I had him at Tottenham and I was very surprised when they decided to let him go last summer, because I thought he had a big future there. 
“He’s young; he’s a good age; he’s already a fine player but he has so much more potential – it’s a really excellent signing for the club.”
Caulker is another successful product of the youth system at Tottenham that Tim Sherwood turned around, one that now seems to produce a flow of Premier League standard footballers.

Jake Livermore and Steven Caulker are just two of the products that have changed hands this summer with Spurs picking up £7 million from Hull City. It's certainly paying it's way lately while performing the role it was set up for.